Circuit Bending and Hardware Hacking

Final Project


Task 6 – Boxing and Rebuilding

NEED TO ORDER STUFF

Task 5 – Making a Sudomini

For this task we had to make a Sudomini using a given schematic for us to use as a platform to build on and manipulate in our own way. This task is similar to the Synthesis On A Chip task except this time we used a NE555 Timer Chip and a mini speaker instead of a powered amplifier.

This is a picture of the schematic for the NE555 timer chip.

This is an image of the schematic that we used to make the platform given to us. Note: this schematic has a slightly different format to the one used in the previous task.

 

This is a picture of the circuit completed at this stage.

This is hkkjvkjvkjvkjgvhchgxhduk

 

This is a picture of the finished circuit with the Potentiometer (secured in the vice so it was easier to play) and the capacitance substitution switch box. Sorry about the quality of the picture.
This is a video of my performance with the finished sudomini.

Task 4 – Synthesis on a Chip

For this task we used a CMOS Hex Schmitt Trigger Integrated Circuit (74C14, CD4584 or CD40106), to produce on/off signals. We amplified the signal and manipulated it by changing the resistance and capacitance in the circuit. The chip has 6 inverters ELABORATE (ask rich)…. This is an image of the schematic for the chip.

We started off by copying the schematic given to us to which we could use as a platform to add to. This is what the schematic looks like.

This is a what the setup looks like at this stage.

Here you can see how I have got it linked to the power source and how I have outputted the signal to the amplified sound source.

 

This is what the chip sounds like with the 100K resistor in the circuit.
Next I manipulated the circuit by putting in a LDR (light dependent resistor) and a 10K Potentiometer (variable resistor) instead of the 100K resistor that was placed between pin1 and pin2. I also put in a capacitance substitution switch box in the circuit where the 0.1uF capacitor was too. You can (sort of) see in the next two pictures the circuit with all of this stuff added.

I was now able to manipulate the pitch by multiplying the frequency of the on/off signals produced by the chip. The capacitance box changed the range in which the LDR and Potentiometer could control.
This is a video of the circuit working; I start off by controlling the pitch with the Potentiometer and then half way through I plug the LDR into the circuit and use that as well.
More Stuff For The Synthesis On A Chip Task…
jvhcvkjhvcf
jhsfbkjhbf
jhbxckjhbsf

jhgsdlhg

jhbkljhbfslkb

jvkjhvchvf

jhdcjhbfc

 

 

Task 3  – Amplifying the Toy

To amplify the toy I had to pinpoint the correct connections to manipulate on the chipboard by simply following the wires coming from the built-in speaker.

Then I soldered my mini-jack output lead that I made in the earlier classes to those connections. In this next picture you can see the green and orange wires attached to the chipboard from my lead.

Here is the whole circuit-board connected up to the speakers with my jack lead.


Task 2  – Laying on of Hands and Hacking the Clock

For this task we had to acquire any sort of kids toy that had a circuit board for us to experiment with. Obviously it had to make some sort of sound/noise. I chose this bus because it has lots of buttons triggering off different samples so I thought I would have lots to play with.

First of all I had to take the batteries out to eliminate any risk of electrocution from these hugely powerful AA batteries.

Next of all I had to make some careful incisions to the toy to take it apart making sure I didn’t harm any of the chipboard. This unfortunately didn’t turn out to be as straight forward as it should have been…

…but I did manage in the end after persistence…

…and brut force.

That wasn’t so bad I guess.

Here you can see the chip that has been soldered on to one part of the chipboard. With this now exposed we were able to run our finger over certain parts of the soldered connections to pinpoint what they were controlling i.e. pitch/rate. We needed to add a a bit of moisture to our finger because this would then short circuiting the toy, this resulted in some pretty crazy sounds.

Task 1 – Making A Cable

For this task we had to simply make a mini-jack to a quarter inch jack cable that would be used for helping with the amplification of our toy in further tasks. Or for anything else for that matter.

This is a close-up of the housing for the wire.

As you can see in this photo, I soldered the orange wire itself to the mini-jack female housing section.

Then I soldered the green wire to the negative charge pin.

This is what the finished product looks like!!!

Video of it workin HERE

EXAMPLE 2 TO COME

Intro To The Module

This is my new Blogpage where I will be documenting my work as I go.

We will be learning…

The tasks we will be undertaking are…

Leave a comment

No comments yet.

Comments RSS TrackBack Identifier URI

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s